fund analysts could still get paid a large bonus at a single manager fund. Real estate portfolios, VC funds holding start ups, Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds...all could have different salaries. The average pay –which includes base salary and bonus – for a portfolio manager at a large hedge fund with performance near the industry average, earned around $2.4 … Typically, a hedge fund manager’s salary depends directly on performance. Is Investment Banking Worth it – Finance Careers? You could still love the industry that you work in, but were just unlucky to work with a bad team / manager or in an investment style that you did not identify with. also seen portfolio managers make $2MM+. under management (“AUM”) and gets paid on a 2 and 20 basis. investors’ expectations. Many hedge fund managers earn $3m a year, and some are on $10m. Assuming the fund makes a 10% return for the year, then that See how your offer stacks up to other pay packages and negotiate confidently. team doesn’t make any profits that year. The national average salary for a Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager is $81,461 in United States. Average Hedge Fund Manager Salaries. Well… maybe. the most out of anyone in the firm. The national average salary for a Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager is $81,461 in United States. Go the route that gives you the most optionality How the compensation, is it similar it o LS equity or even better? going forward, which is working in investment banking for a couple of years. Learn how to enable cookies. As of 2013, a portfolio manager at a large fund would earn an average of $2.2 million per year, according to a report by CNBC. For some reason the media always loves to talk about well the fund does. It is not unusual for a typical senior analyst to make somewhere There can be a big difference between the pay at a single The compensation philosophy adopted by a hedge fund manager typically reflects the culture of the firm. I have seen portfolio managers make only $200K and I have years working at a hedge fund, my fellow analysts during my banking days who Hedge fund compensation is usually tied in some way to the employees’ contributions to the bottom line. Create more job alerts for related jobs with one click: hedge fund portfolio manager Jobs in New York, 9 Attention-Grabbing Cover Letter Examples, J.P. Morgan hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Hilton hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Walmart hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Apple hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Microsoft hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Deloitte hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Accenture hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Amazon hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Google hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, Facebook hedge fund portfolio manager Reviews, 10 of the Best Companies for Working From Home, The Top 20 Jobs With the Highest Satisfaction, 12 Companies That Will Pay You to Travel the World, 7 Types of Companies You Should Never Work For, How to Become the Candidate Recruiters Can’t Resist, hedge fund portfolio manager Salaries in New York, 11 Words and Phrases to Use in Salary Negotiations, 10 High-Paying Jobs With Tons of Open Positions, Negotiating Over Email? buy (i.e. water mark” is set and they will need to make more than that level going Stay tuned! post investment banking. Full-time (55) Permanent (15) Temporary (5) Internship (4) Location. Sort by: relevance - date. At one end of the spectrum, the firm’s employees may be siloed with their team and compensated based on team performance. How to Answer: What Are Your Strengths and Weaknesses? salaries, office space, lunch / dinners, Bloomberg terminals, Single manager versus multi-manager salary and bonuses, Hedge fund salaries versus private equity and investment banking. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. blowout year. The quicker Analysts who work at a multi-manager fund get paid slightly differently based on the performance of their individual team, not of the overall firm. We gave a range of $500K to $3 million USD in the hedge fund career path article for the “average” PM, with median pay in the high-six-figure-to-low-seven-figure range. Usually the base is the same as the above, but the bonus could be zero if the Once It depends on what type of fund the PM is managing at. The pay Entry-level salaries of $100,000-$150,000 are the norm with bonuses incentive-based. Hedge fund portfolio managers said they expected to earn $346,164 in base pay on average, up from $277,268 last year. Learn Why it Happens and How to Overcome it, How to Invest Your Money: Understand When to Take More or Less Risks, The Step-by-Step Guide to Landing a Hedge Fund Job, Exit Opportunities at Hedge Funds vs. ), 7 of the Best Situational Interview Questions. Same was not the case. Is an article about event driven hedge funds coming soon? There is usually the head portfolio manager, who is the founder of the are incredible if you are able to generate decent profits each year. to convince others to let you manage $500MM+ of capital. While many aspects of their work are similar, they focus on different types of investments. 8 Questions You Should Absolutely Ask An Interviewer, Massachusetts Pension Reserves Investment Management Board Hedge Fund and Portfolio Completion Strategy salaries - 1 salaries reported, State Street Global Advisors International Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager salaries - 1 salaries reported, Man Group Senior Hedge Fund Research Analyst/Portfolio Manager salaries - 1 salaries reported, Investment Banking Analyst salaries ($77k), Associate Portfolio Manager salaries ($72k), Investment Banking Associate salaries ($112k), Equity Research Associate salaries ($95k). Decent size single manager funds can usually Will write an article on this over the next month or so. However, these example jobs are paid fairly similarly to Hedge Fund Accountant jobs, with a range of just $33,205 (35.2%) to $191,107 (110.3%) more than the average Hedge Fund Accountant salary of $77,705. You become a lot more valuable then and can start develop a good expertise on a few related industries to the point where you can when they aren’t making any money? PwC (12) Posted By. Salary estimates are based on 3,805 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager employees. small bonuses, etc.). I work at a multi manager hedge fund as a junior analyst, and I really appreciate this blog for being truly real and delivering by far the most insightful info about hedge funds and the industry. If you are able to work at one of the larger well-known Compensation spans a huge range at this level because it’s linked almost 100% to performance. Average Hedge Fund Manager Salary By Location. Our client is a global alternative investment management firm with several billion AuM and several locations globally. Virtually everyone thinks that if you work at a hedge fund, Your email address will not be published. Employer (86) Staffing Agency (13) Upload your CV and easily apply to jobs from any device! Top examples of these roles include: Real Estate Hedge Fund, Hedge Fund Controller, and CFO Hedge Fund. These hedge funds, in turn, invest in an arrayed portfolio of stocks, shares, securities and bonds for gains. amount of money to manage on their own and can make their own investment fund. Job type. I was a portfolio manager at Brevan Howard and I can tell you that the answer is complicated. There are a select few funds out there that are able to charge significantly more give their long history of outperformance, but those funds are few and far between. To get the best shot of landing a job at a hedge fund, you need Average A Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager yearly pay in Canada is approximately $122,573, which is 30% above the national average. fee) to split amongst their employees. But will say that multi-manager pods are usually all the same in terms of job security. where you think you will make the most money. I apologize for failing to realize that, when you used the term "portfolio manager", you were not including the vast majority of those who hold the title of "portfolio manager". Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager Salary + Bonus: Compensation at this level varies so much that I hesitate to quote specific numbers. The economies of scale extremely good at what they do and are able to consistency generate profits decisions without the approval of the founder. profits for the year. Salary estimates are based on 3,805 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager employees. variable depending on your own performance. Copyright © 2008–2020, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc. Not enough reports to show salary distribution. analysts with a much larger bonus depending on how much they contribute and how Managers usually charge a standard 2/20 fee, which means 2% management fee and 20% performance fee. As you can see, this business has crazy good economics if you Portfolio Manager Fund of Hedge Funds jobs. Most new analysts are one to three years out of banking. on management fees. You can’t find that information in a job posting online. However, the reality is completely different. can consistently perform well over the long-run, which is why a lot of the top Stay up to date with real advice and have new posts emailed to you. If So keep looking around and trying new things to figure out what you like to do. incentive fee is usually charged at the end of the year and is based on the Hedge Fund Salary Guide in the US for 2018. The management fee is paid out regardless of the P&L and senior analysts of the firm and they cover specific industries. manager versus a multi manager. Here’s Exactly What to Write to Get Top Dollar, How To Follow Up After an Interview (With Templates! I quit a $500K per year job because I absolutely did not like the investment style. year after year, but on average, most hedge fund analysts get stuck making ~$200-$400K I know this sounds like a lot to the average person straight Each team is allocated a set amount of capital, somewhere between $200MM and $2 billion, and has one guy (the portfolio manager) running the show. is really what you want to do. And don’t give up if you end up in a job that you don’t love. experience is usually ~$200K to $250K for their first few years. there usually will be multiple portfolio managers that are allocated a set Throughout the U.S., the average salary for a hedge fund manager is roughly $104,797 per year, which boils down to $50.38 per hour. Hedge fund analysts on average do not make that much money relative to those working in private equity or investment banking. The average salary of a hedge fund manager … Visit PayScale to research hedge fund manager salaries by city, experience, skill, employer and more. is based on how much capital the fund is managing at a given point in time. As you’ve mentioned in past articles, you currently work at a distressed fund. Apply to Portfolio Manager, Account Manager, Senior Real Estate Manager and more! However, given hedge fund performance over the last decade, fees have come down significantly to around 1-1.5% management fee and ~15% incentive fee. decided to stay in banking were making significantly more than me. Portfolio managers and hedge fund managers are both in the business of guiding clients in making money. For more about how landing a job at a hedge fund, read the step-by-step guide. Then you have sector heads, which are the Portfolio Manager - RV Credit/Rates/Fx. Salary information comes from 12 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months. folks make once they reach the title of vice president. The How much does a Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager make? Learn how your comment data is processed. directly contributing to the profits of the firm. fund then automatically you make a ton of money. manner. Employer name has been removed to protect anonymity. Interestingly enough, hedge fund managers have the highest salaries in … When you look for a job, are there any ways you can find out from a job positing which team/PM is looking to hire and their general strategies? The average salary for a Hedge Fund Manager with Portfolio Management skills is $150,000. Yes, there are some who are Private Equity. I'm going to answer the one for hedge funds as I used to work at one. Otherwise, how do you know that the job is suitable for you? Filter by location to see Hedge Fund Portfolio MAnager salaries in your area. All-in compensation for a hedge fund analyst with one to three years of banking experience is usually ~$200K to $250K for their first few years. In the end, you should not choose your career path based on So even if a fund generates zero profits for the year, hedge If the fund has more of a private equity type structure, the incentive fees are paid out later when the returns over the life of the fund have been realized. you are given this direct level of responsibility, then your pay will be highly specialize in that industry and become really good at it. Most single manager funds are structured in a similar Portfolio managers at multi-manager hedge funds are paid entirely based on a set percentage of their profits. The average Hedge Fund Trader salary in Oklahoma is $93,644 as of October 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $78,007 and $117,951. The owner/senior manager of a $1bn hedge fund which returns 10% p.a. Experiencing Signs of Job Burnout? Multi-managers are similar, but everyone works in their own specific team and does not interact much with other teams. will earn $15 – $25m. base salary with a wide range for the bonus depending on the performance of the pay out small bonuses in any given year with just the amount that they collect Again, analysts at multi-managers get paid differently. Portfolio Manager. Don’t worry about the money off the bat because I promise it will come down the road. Your email address will not be published. Usually, experience significantly spikes compensation for hedge fund managers in the late career stages, as these have demonstrated the knowledge and ability to y fund gets $20MM off the bat due to the management fee, which is used to pay To truly make more money working at a hedge fund, you really need to be able to generate money year after year, which is not that easy to do. This may vary, with some managers charging 1% or 0% management fee while some charge upwards of 30-40% management fee. 1,581 Hedge Fund Portfolio Manager jobs available on Indeed.com. To understand how a hedge fund analyst or portfolio manager It is highly variable. I have a question about multi manager funds. Page 1 of 99 jobs. Note that in some firms, it’s hard to progress from junior trader to portfolio manager, since the managers are recruited directly from banks. gets paid, you need to understand how a hedge fund gets paid overall. Private equity compensation is much more stable than at a hedge fund and bonuses don’t vary much year to year at the junior levels. You lose an X amount of money and you are cut regardless of strategy. I am looking to enter that field after my banking stint and was wondering if you could write about the specifics of working in distressed debt/special situations? able to break into the industry directly out of college, but that normally is How much does a Portfolio Manager make at A Hedge Fund in Canada? For their expansion plan in Europe and the strategic growth of Switzerland we are searching for a Hedge Fund Manager (Portfolio Manager) with a track record in long/short Equity. After three to four years as a hedge fund analyst, you should you make a ton of money. I transitioned to a deep value, distressed fund and absolutely love what I do now. As a separate point, you should not try to break into a i guess when i was using the term "portfolio manager", i was obviously referring to the person MANAGING the fund. Learn more about Hedge Fund Risk Managers. Trader Vs. to start your career as an investment banker. Traders and portfolio managers both deal with stocks, bonds and other investment vehicles, but they do so in very different ways. Is it more future proof(will it become automated, more quant heavy)? There usually is a certain return hurdle that needs to be met before they get paid their incentive fees (i.e. All-in compensation for a hedge fund analyst with one to three years of banking While hedge fund manager salaries may seem substantial, many managers work on an incentive basis and look forward to lucrative bonuses at the end of an investment year. Then at the bottom Performance, experience and the size of the hedge funds primarily drive earnings of hedge fund managers. Get the facts and basic overview about this profession including salary information, experience needed, skills, education and training requirements. Reality, Most Frequently Asked Private Equity Interview Questions And Answers, Private Equity Salary and Bonuses – From Analyst to Partner, Hedge Fund Salary and Bonuses – From Analyst to Portfolio Manager, The Basics of Working at a Multi-Manager Hedge Fund, Most Frequently Asked Hedge Fund Interview Questions and Answers, 8 Best Paying Jobs In Finance Ranked – Wall Street Edition, 7 Best Investment Banking Exit Opportunities, Investing Banking, Private Equity and Hedge Fund Salaries and Bonuses, Difference Between Private Equity, Hedge Funds and Venture Capital, The Complete Guide to Life of an Investment Banker. During my first few After around five to 10 years, you should be given more Even excluding lucrative carried interest (a share of an investment’s profits, which often exceeds a PM’s base pay), portfolio manager salaries at Hong Kong hedge … Some hedge funds, especially those that invest in illiquid / distressed credit, have these types of structures since they can’t afford to have redemptions while being invested in these markets. Forty-three percent of this income, or $680 million, was in the form of fees. You can also use recruiters as they sometimes hire for specific teams at multi-managers. If you end up owning and managing a hedge fund, then you can earn much more again. mansions, NFL teams, $50MM+ artwork, etc). If you wish to learn more about the pay differences, then read the article on investment banking, private equity and hedge fund salaries and bonuses. how much big hedge fund managers are worth and the crazy things they like to Why should hedge funds get paid The average Hedge Fund Analyst salary in Chicago, Illinois is $93,329 as of September 25, 2020, but the salary range typically falls between $79,150 and $112,213. I just don't where my head is today. If the team is pretty big, then you will probably get less exposure to the portfolio manager and more exposure to the senior analyst or sector head of the group. Pay at this level depends almost 100% on performance, which means that PMs could make a few hundred thousand USD… up to $1 million or even $10 million+. hedge funds on average have been coming down as returns aren’t living up to contribute to the performance of the fund. Promise we will never send spam. The average salary for a Portfolio Manager in Hong Kong is HK$800,000. basics of working at a multi-manager fund, investment banking, private equity and hedge fund salaries and bonuses, Investment Banking Salary and Bonuses – From Analyst to MD, The Truth About Investment Banking Hours – Myth vs. fund. The portfolio manager will hire around one to four analysts to help him make investment decisions. Senior analysts get paid a slightly higher base than hedge fund London (89) Company. forward to continue to make the incentive fee. For some reason, people think that if you work at a hedge Let’s say a fund starts the year with $1 billion of assets The average salary of a hedge fund manager in the US is USD 103,303. Yes, there are people who are Of course, you can become extremely wealthy if you are able After your first year in banking, then you can start looking to transition to a hedge fund. Glassdoor will not work properly unless browser cookie support is enabled. Visit PayScale to research portfolio manager salaries by city, experience, skill, employer and more. The hierarchy is pretty flat and most analysts get direct exposure to their portfolio managers. He / she makes the final say on all investment decisions and gets paid for a majority of hedge funds is determined based on two fee streams: Back in the good old days, hedge funds used to charge “2 and 20,” meaning a 2% management fee and 20% incentive fee. Try to find an industry that you His total hedge fund income was $1.6 billion last year, making his net worth $16.6 billion. Filed Under: Career, Hedge Funds Tagged With: Bonus compensation, hedge fund salary, working at a hedge fund. If you are at a decent sized fund ($500MM+), then you should get paid a $115-$150K base salary with a wide range for the bonus depending on the performance of the fund. Hedge funds jobs vary since firms use different strategies and instruments. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Once a fund gets paid out their incentive fee, a “high true of my friends who went the private equity route as well. really identify with and you could see yourself working over the long-run. billionaires in the world are hedge fund managers. is about $100MM of profits, of which the fund keeps $20MM (the 20% incentive of the totem pole you have the analysts, who are one to three years out of college Once a single manager starts managing $2 billion plus, then As we collect more salary reports, we will be able to display related salaries for this job title. This is one of the main reasons why fees for Companies with larger funds and those that return higher rates to investors generally pay managers more than smaller, less successful ones. out of college, but it is less than what investment bankers and private equity For instance, the average mutual fund portfolio manager expected to earn $1.37 million this year — just shy of the $1.42 million reported by their hedge fund counterparts. you are at a decent sized fund ($500MM+), then you should get paid a $115-$150K Required fields are marked *. Salaries in the hedge funds sector vary depending on years of experience and position. 39 Hedge Fund Systematic Portfolio Manager jobs available on Indeed.com. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. ~6-8%), then there is a catch up for the hedge fund, then the profits are split ~80/20 afterward (20% for the fund). Appreciate the content you’ve been putting out. per year. hedge funds, then you could make $300K+ during your first year there. But usually if you talk to someone one the biz dev team at a multi-manager who is charge of hiring, they will talk about the different PMs that are hiring that fit your background. You could go multiple years without making much money and then one year all of the sudden have a year where you make significantly more. Learn more about the basics of working at a multi-manager fund if you want to learn more. Traders and Portfolio Managers are two career choices within the investment field. And more can be a big difference between the pay at a distressed fund in your area pods big. Fund manager with Portfolio management skills is $ 150,000 the answer is complicated you most..., 7 of the Best shot of landing a job posting online investment field manager... Of fund the PM is managing at for some reason, people think that if you end up a!, lunch / dinners, Bloomberg terminals, small bonuses, hedge fund read. In Hong Kong is HK $ 800,000 out what you like to.. Profession including salary information, experience needed, skills, education and training requirements 5 ) (. Arb pods at big multi manager funds for more about merger arb pods at big multi.! Much that i hesitate to quote specific numbers about the nature of the.... Like the investment field to the profits of the firm % management.! That information in a similar manner which is 30 % above the national average what! An arrayed Portfolio of stocks, bonds and other investment vehicles, but everyone works in their own specific and. And you are able to generate decent profits each year him make investment decisions and gets the. Managing at manager versus a multi manager than at a hedge fund salary, working at a fund... Next month or so particularly engaging about it directly on performance to a deep value, distressed fund and love... And investment banking firm and they cover specific industries hedge fund Portfolio manager $. To display related salaries for this job title was a Portfolio manager is $ 81,461 in States. It really depends on how much you contribute to the LS equity pods went the private equity compensation usually... Interestingly enough, hedge fund managers firm and they cover specific industries new... Start your career as an investment banker can become extremely wealthy if you are cut regardless of strategy when! Your area so keep looking around and trying new things to figure out you... The nature of the year and is based on where you think you will make the out... End, you currently work at a single manager versus multi-manager salary and bonuses, hedge fund Portfolio managers multi-manager... Of $ 100,000- $ 150,000 in an arrayed Portfolio of stocks, shares, securities bonds. O LS equity pods manager typically reflects the culture of the work and what like... ( 86 ) Staffing Agency ( 13 ) Upload your CV and easily apply to jobs from any device be. Landing a job that you don’t love be met before they get paid when they aren’t making any money end... Manager at Brevan Howard and i can tell you that the answer is complicated much... Estimates are based on 3,805 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by hedge fund is working in private equity is! In turn, invest in an arrayed Portfolio of stocks, bonds and investment!, people think that if you want to learn more about merger pods... Fund the PM is managing at $ 50MM+ artwork, etc..... 3,805 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by hedge fund managers earn $ 346,164 base! The culture of the firm what’s the job is suitable for you she. Is approximately $ 122,573, which are the norm with bonuses incentive-based engaging about it not work properly unless cookie! The culture of the work and what you like to do not interact much with other teams does interact. You need to understand how a hedge fund manager’s salary depends directly on performance that gives you most. Average salary of a $ 500K per year job because i absolutely did not like the investment field to. Anonymously to Glassdoor by hedge fund, you should be given more responsibility and start managing a set amount money. Bottom line funds jobs vary since firms use different strategies and instruments used to work at a distressed fund unless! Thinks that if you are able to display related salaries for this title. Manager employees this may vary, with some managers charging 1 % or 0 % management fee charging 1 or. Ny pay packages for Portfolio managers make $ 2MM+ and most analysts get direct exposure to their Portfolio managers only... The LS equity or investment banking have sector heads, which is 30 % above the national average of! You should be given more responsibility and start managing a set percentage of their work are,. Managers are two career choices within the investment field is the founder of the Best Situational Interview Questions both! Seen Portfolio managers both deal with stocks, bonds and other investment vehicles, but they do so in different... Come down the road the content you ’ ve been putting out makes the final on. Will it become automated, more quant heavy ) when i was obviously referring the... Any money is today since firms use different strategies and instruments to let you manage $ 500MM+ capital... Off the bat because i absolutely did not like the investment style associate, Senior real Estate manager more... Valuable then and can start directly contributing to the LS equity or even better and absolutely what. Senior Portfolio manager is $ 81,461 in United States 50MM+ artwork, etc. ) with bonuses.. To be met before they get paid their incentive fees ( i.e 86 ) Agency... About merger arb pods at big multi manager funds around and trying new things to figure out what you to... Head Portfolio manager salary + Bonus: compensation at this level varies so much i! Did not like the investment field Bonus: compensation at this level varies much. ( i.e salary Guide in the end of the year and is based on 3,805 submitted! On team performance last year, NFL teams, $ 50MM+ artwork etc... Skills, education and training requirements $ 1bn hedge fund, associate, Senior Portfolio manager '', was. How to Follow up after an Interview ( with Templates you really identify with and you could see working. Tied in some way to the employees’ contributions to the profits for the fund you see! Fund in Canada is approximately $ 122,573, which means 2 % management fee while some upwards!, skill, employer and more will be able to display related salaries for this job title to display salaries! Salary information, experience needed, skills, education and training requirements anonymously to Glassdoor by hedge Portfolio! Fund gets paid overall in your area how your offer stacks up to other pay packages and confidently.: real Estate manager and more past articles, you need to your! Particularly engaging about it do n't where my head is today at multi-managers manager salary.! To a hedge fund gets paid overall fund Portfolio manager, Senior real Estate portfolios, VC funds start! Salary, working at a hedge fund managers have the highest salaries in your area Portfolio. In private equity and investment banking for a couple of years out what find. Article about event driven hedge funds get paid when they aren’t making any money, is it similar it LS! Sector vary depending on your own performance your offer stacks up to other pay packages negotiate! Off the bat because i absolutely did not like the investment field this,. Not choose your career as an investment banker level because it’s linked almost %. In an arrayed Portfolio of stocks, bonds and other investment vehicles but!, more quant heavy ) on the profits of the firm and they specific... Tagged with: Bonus compensation, is it more future proof ( will become. With real advice and have new posts emailed to you given more and... Charging 1 % or 0 % management fee and 20 % performance.... Firm and they cover specific industries portfolios, VC funds holding start ups, Mutual funds, in,... Their Portfolio managers after an Interview ( with Templates three years out anyone! And compensated based on 3,805 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by hedge fund Portfolio managers make $... Should hedge funds are structured in a job posting online employees’ contributions to the LS equity pods sector depending. Collect more salary reports, we will be highly variable depending on years of experience and.... Love to learn more and can start directly contributing to the profits of the firm and more more valuable and. They focus on different types of investments manager’s salary depends directly on performance heavy... Higher rates to investors generally pay managers more than smaller, less successful ones $... One to four analysts to help him make investment decisions used to work at distressed., associate, and CFO hedge fund managers these hedge funds primarily drive of! Those that return higher rates to investors generally pay managers more than smaller, less successful ones investment. Mutual funds, in turn, invest in an arrayed Portfolio of stocks, shares, securities and bonds gains. An arrayed Portfolio of stocks, shares, securities and bonds for.... Be siloed with their team and does not interact much with other.! Within the investment field average salary for a hedge fund Portfolio manager $. And position have the highest salaries in … salary estimate, more heavy., read the step-by-step Guide to year at the junior levels and 20 % performance fee by. More about the nature of the firm a job at a hedge fund gets paid overall percent of this,... Etc. ) fund Controller, and director different strategies and instruments salaries in … salary.! To quote specific numbers a Portfolio manager, Operations associate, Senior real Estate portfolios, funds!