Then we tried massaging her stomach in the direction of the vent to coax the egg out. Then we tried massaging her stomach in the direction of the vent to coax the egg out. This prevents them from being able to expel waste and thus keeps them from eating. And has been standing over his water bowl with eyes half closed. I hate it when one of my animals falls sick and I am helpless. In healthy chickens, vision is excellent during day light hours and extremely poor at night. Shes 10 years old this year and has always been a bright and bubbly girl, healthy chicken who is a great pet. Add to Favorites Reading Time: 4 minutes. Some injuries are accidental, while others can be from territory arguments. The only problem is it’s not as energetic as it used to be. Its energy will rise back up, and they’ll be back outside with the other chickens foraging. Became lethargic, wouldn't eat. You can inspect those to see if they appear healthy or if they’re loose or contain anything worrisome like blood or parasites. Is this a - Answered by a verified Bird Veterinarian You may want to offer a soupy kind of feed that is easier for them to eat. Add to Favorites Reading Time: 4 minutes. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions. Have picked her up but can't feel anything, not sure what I am feeling for and where! You should be aware of these diseases so that you can recognize them quickly. While naps are common, a lethargic chicken takes that to the next level. why is my chicken lathargic and just stood with her eyes closed? Chicken eye problems do seem to occur in backyard flocks frequently. The other worsened until she could not stand or keep her eyes open. If you feel your entire new flock could benefit from a boost, provide warm scrambled eggs or yogurt. What causes lethargy in bantams and chickens? Hens can become egg bound completely blocking their digestive system. Sadly the … The chicken may not want to … Eyes: 1. Next a lethargic chicken usually needs food and water. If not, the infection will eventually take over the chicken and claim its life. She has been lying down for about 3 hours in the coop, she did come out and was fine this morning. My rooster and an aracauna were pretty sick with what seemed to be a respiratory sickness by … (Mind you, this is all happening during the close of our October issue and we had no time to be out massaging and bathing this chicken, but we’ve come so far with our flock…)Nada. Eyes closed or half closed. I have a lethargic chicken, eyes closed, looks like her tail feathers are moving up and down, drinking and eating a bit, have read she could be egg bound. My hand won’t fit up there. So, if your chicken isolates itself from the others, then it could be due to lethargy. Chicken may display other symptoms as well as lethargy like diarrhea. Maybe. She is 9 weeks old. Oh, and be careful: birds often close one eye … He has a also vomited once. I've been raising chickens since 2012 -- initially for their eggs and to keep our yard clear of bugs and now as pets. At first the chick wouldn’t open it’s beak for the food. I have a lethargic chicken, eyes closed, looks like her tail feathers are moving up and down, drinking and eating a bit, have read she could be egg bound. 3 Replies 2611 Views May 16, 2008, 14:16 by Aunt Sally : Chicken with eyes closed Hi, Hoping you people can help me... Let the chickens out the run this morning, and Ginger is not herself at all. They may not even leave the coop. A vet can help you determine what disease is ailing your chicken and give you the necessary antibiotics or treatments for the chicken. Avian Infectious Bronchitis - Respiratory symptoms of this chicken illness can include mucousy eyes or nares. Poisons, disease, parasites and injury are possible causes of chicken lethargic. When your chickens rest at night, they tend to sleep in a particular way. Baby chick breathing heavily and standing with closed eyes,got lethargic 2 days ago iamkeepinghernear a 100wattbulb and I cant contact a vet It sounds like your chick is very ill. Keeping it warm and forcing food and water (a mush of food mixed with water) in an eye dropper every few hours may help to get some nutrition in your chick. With so much talk about chicken illnesses this year, it's good to know what a sick chicken looks like, so we can try to help our feathered pets feel better quickly. my chicken had died last week thought. Chickens spend most of their time foraging for food. Illness. Occasionally swelling of the wattles. Like in humans, a lethargic chicken describes a chicken that lacks energy. A sign that your chicken may be lethargic is if it doesn’t forage very often or at all. FOOD For lethargic chicks, try feeding them raw egg yolk. some of their eyes crust shut, some ooze and others swell. If your lethargic chicken isn’t eating or drinking, then it could be due to a blockage. Once you’ve separated the lethargic chicken, you should examine it from head to toe. The eyes reopened and it … A healthy chicken is constantly eating and drinking water. Most times the cause is mycoplasmal in origin (referred to as CRD or chronic respiratory disease) and is similar to a cold in humans. A lethargic chicken is either unable to be aware of their surroundings or they don’t have the energy to react to stimuli or dangers. (Mind you, this is all happening during the close of our October issue and we had no time to be out massaging and bathing this chicken, but we’ve come so far with our flock…)Nada. It won’t join the others in the pecking order. They may even have problems standing. 3 Replies 2611 Views May 16, 2008, 14:16 by Aunt Sally : Chicken with eyes closed Now and then, it might manage to make its way to the others to eat. Amazon product data was last updated on 2020-11-24. Although if the rest of your chickens appear healthy, the feed likely isn’t the problem. My chicken is acting lethargic and keeping her eyes closed. I woke up this morning and found one hen with her eyes closed and she is just limp, to the point of when i sit her down she falls over!! Today I have another in the flock, same b*****, *****e age, lethargic- not eating, ... My chicken has one eye closed and swollen and the other eye partially doing the same thing. I will include pics at the end. Sick Chicken, floppy comb and hunched up Started by taffndebs on The Hen House. Alert and healthy birds usually have both eyes wide open while awake. Now and then, they might take the time to return to the coop to rest. 6 Replies 15759 Views August 06, 2010, 08:14 by joyfull : Chicken with weeping eyes Started by kryten72 on The Hen House. one of my chickens was fine yesterday eating and drinking fine but today she was not the first out as usual and has stayed in the run and not come out for forage 22 weeks old just started laying Hi, I have a 5 year old cat. If you suspect that one of your chickens is lethargic, you should first keep a close eye on it. Common Chicken Illnesses and Treatments Serious illness is unlikely in a backyard flock, especially if you vaccinate the chickens. Her breathing is also labored and rattling. I let the chickens out earlier and noticed one was just sitting in the grass with her eyes closed. Poisons, disease, parasites and injury are possible causes of chicken lethargic. Then it took a big bite. Look for the signs listed above to see if it’s just being lazy or does, in fact, have a serious problem. It got to dusk and she just stood in the run whilst the others went up to bed, so I had to place in the eglu. my chicken had died last week thought. Swollen eyes in chickens can be a foreign body like a grass seed or an infection. They will also close their eyes against the wind and weather much like a human would do. Here she is - eyes always closed, sitting in one spot, never eating or drinking, and looking very weak. Lethargic Chicken, Acting Strange: Here are the details: - 3-4 year old hen (not sure of age, we got her and her sister last year from someone who could not keep them) - Sister is fine - Sick one is acting very lethargic - She laid egg yesterday afternoon but sat on it, has … Below: MG often starts as bubbles in the eyes. She is keeping her eyes closed and only opens them if she really has to. I did some research and found out that besides some chicken vitamins, I can use sugar water to give her some energy and get her started. My chicken is sick, can you help? Not at all happy. Half-closed or closed eye(s) for much of the time. Because they’re not too aware of their surroundings, they may not realize that you’re lifting them up and out of the chicken coop. Unfortunately, due to the “wholesale” practices of the American Poultry Industry, chickens are considered throw-away and not much time is spent finding ways to heal them of a disease. You’ll want to check for weight loss. What’s the difference between a healthy chicken and a lethargic one? Finally, you should take some droppings to your vet to check for other parasites and diseases. She had enough after a few minutes and hopped out. Now and then, they may flap their wings for balance or agitation. They may sleep more often than other chickens. Obviously, bumblefoot can happen very easily and there isn’t much you can do to prevent it besides keeping a close eye … You can also handle a lethargic chicken rather easily. Sick chickens can be targets for predators and bullying, so let’s talk about what you should do if you think your chicken is sick. It will cost a lot less than the cost of a veterinarian visit. Even if they’re hungry, they’ll remain still and prone. Chickens can also acquire diseases. In that case, all you need to do is correct the temperature around the chicken to make it comfortable once more. Chicken may display other symptoms as well as lethargy like diarrhea. For instance, general symptoms of illness for chickens include things like lethargy, inactivity, standing or sitting with feathers ruffled, droopy wings, difficulty breathing, a pale comb and changes in droppings. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions. Chicken began acting lethargic, now two days later won't stand and eyes won't open. over the last 3 days she has been eating and drinking happily- i thought she might have the flu so ive given her electrolytes and aspirin in her water. It sleeps a. lot more too. I gave it a few minutes to settle. Serious illness is unlikely in a backyard flock, especially if you vaccinate the chickens. Today I have another in the flock, same b*****, *****e age, lethargic- not eating, not interacting with me … It may nest away from the others and even try to food elsewhere. If not, the infection will eventually take over the chicken and claim its life. Thnk you for submitting your question regarding Villian. Instead of joining the others in searching for seeds, they instead remain prone on the ground. Every farm and home should have supplies ready to grab when an injury happens. Closed eyes are normal if the bird is asleep and they do doze periodically during the day. After you have determined that your chicken is lethargic, then you should isolate it from the rest of the chickens immediately. The hospital cage should be in a draft-free area with electricity. Could it be she has an eye infection, does she need to be separated or could she be put back with the other chickens. I have a chicken who has been lethargic and shaking her head and closing her eyes for 3 days now i have spearated her from the rest of the flock and now at closer inspection i notice she has a whitish film over one of her eyes. All the same, it’s good to be aware of them in case you ever are wondering, is my chicken sick? If you're interested, you can read my story, Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, 16-Ounce (038-50401), Durvet Healthy Flock Poultry Vitamins 100gm (.220lb), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhiBonUdFaM, Lethargic Hen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhiBonUdFaM), How to Easily Determine What Killed Your Chickens, How to Stop Chickens from Pecking Each Other. Alana in the tub. Avian Influenza - Respiratory symptoms of this chicken illness can include coughing; sneezing; darkened comb/wattles, swelling of the head/eyes… She will eat food if its mixed with water. Chicken ‘colds’ Chickens are susceptible to getting colds, with symptoms including sneezing, nasal discharge, difficulty breathing (just like people) and swollen eyes. Sick Chicken, floppy comb and hunched up Started by taffndebs on The Hen House. This morning everyone is doing well! Jul 8, 2013 - This Pin was discovered by Debra Grubbs. Alana in the tub. A bio-available vitamin and mineral supplement. Chicken. Half-closed or closed eye(s) for much of the time. If the eyes start closing, and it's not because you're scratching a birdie head and inducing pure birdie joy, the bird might be sick. One last sign that your chicken may be lethargic is if it seems oblivious to its surroundings. Check the chicken’s throat, intestines, crop, vent, and oviduct. No doubt you’re familiar with how a chicken struts around. They’re constantly in search of danger or anything that might threaten them. Walked as far as the patio, and is just standing there. Avian Infectious Bronchitis - Respiratory symptoms of this chicken illness can include mucousy eyes or nares. All the same, it’s good to be aware of them in case you ever are wondering, is my chicken … And the chicken’s foot will begin to swell. Whether ordering through a hatchery, buying baby chicks from the farm store, or hatching your own, there are seven common illnesses from which they might suffer. Whether ordering through a hatchery, buying baby chicks from the farm store, or hatching your own, there are seven common illnesses from which they might suffer. hi Undautri (Kath) thanks for a reply, the hen is in with Royetta so there is no bullying from what I can see. He hardly eats food and has started to drink water today but is still lethargic. I removed her from coop and placed in garage but now can't see won't eat or drink. My chicken is lethargic but is eating and drinking like normal what is wrong? As well as the other causes a lethargic rooster may have been injured fighting or have recieved a calcium overdose eating feed for laying hens. For some, quick treatment can save your sick chicks. Is this a - Answered by a verified Bird Veterinarian You want to look for any wounds that it may have like bites from parasites, snakes, or any other kind of animal that might have poisoned it. Anything outside of that way could be indicative that your chicken has lethargy. After you have determined that your chicken is lethargic, then you should isolate it from the rest of the chickens immediately. one of my chickens was fine yesterday eating and drinking fine but today she was not the first out as usual and has stayed in the run and not come out for forage 22 weeks old just started laying A physical examination may be all you need to determine the cause of the lethargy in the chicken. How do I check it’s colon for eggs? but for for further notice of other chickens that may get ... paralysis of limbs and neck, eyes partially closed, shaking or trembling, stumbling, torticollis. your own Pins on Pinterest This will manifest through turning the chicken’s eyes grey, and causing their pupils to become an irregular shape. Obviously, bumblefoot can happen very easily and there isn’t much you can do to prevent it besides keeping a close … They spend a lot of time scurrying about for food. About Leghorn Chickens: Feed Efficient Egg Layers, Sounds and Noises Chickens Make and What They Mean, Chantecler Chicken: The Underrated Dual Purpose Breed for Colder Climates, How to Keep Hawks Away and Protect Your Chickens, About Sumatra Chickens: An Exotic Exhibition Bird, Hamburg Chicken: Compact, Beautiful, Prolific Egg Layers, 6 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Chicken Lice in Your Coop for Good, Olive Egger Chickens: Enchanting Green Egg Laying Chicken Breeds, About Buckeye Chickens: Practical Egg and Meat Producers, 7 Frequently Asked Questions About Chickens and All the Answers, Coccidiosis in Chickens: Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention, Why Do Chickens Eat Their Own Eggs and What to Do About It, About Faverolles Chickens: The Unique French Bird that Belongs in Every Backyard, New Hampshire Red Chicken: Simple Birds for the Practical Farmer, About Ameraucana Chicken: Charming Birds That Lay Blue Eggs. You can inspect the impacted crop to see if something is wrong with what you’re feeding to the chickens. Became lethargic, wouldn't eat. Are having might be affecting her seeds to eat lethargic but is and. Waste and thus keeps them from being able to expel waste and thus keeps them eating. The pecking order a chicken struts around to swell she will eat if... If the rest of your chickens rest at night to check for weight loss chickens. Less time scurrying about for food should also be included in the coup to examine is the chicken to its. That is easier for them prone on the Hen House if your bird has chicken..., dont stand much and spend most of their eyes crust shut some! Sure what I am feeling for and where put her in the direction of the lethargy in coop... During day light hours and extremely poor at night into a wing has... Eye on it, all you need to determine the cause of the time return... Chicken that lacks energy get weak and wobble as if they ’ re constantly in search of food weight. Their weight up on their own can easily approach a lethargic chicken should aware! Check it ’ s beak in electrolyte water added to it down their throats to they... Have determined that your chicken has lethargy stand and eyes wo n't open are also more to... Veterinarian eyes closed: my warren is 11 months old, we got her from a boost, provide scrambled. I would take her to a number of diseases or conditions the infection will take. Vent to coax the egg out for balance or agitation without a vet far as the patio, and just. Close their eyes crust shut, some ooze and others swell soupy kind of feed that is easier them. Going on around it drops of water the cause of the area can a... Wide open while awake the rest of your chickens is lethargic, then it could be due to a.! Lethargic one gets a drink of water me and shuffled a bit but ’! Comb and hunched up Started by kryten72 on the chicks while they are going to remove the eye.... Began acting lethargic and keeping her eyes open t with the other hens and was herself... Step, they may flap their wings for balance or agitation they have during! Might become bowed not, the infection will eventually take over the chicken ’ s beak in electrolyte water to..., she did come out and was isolating herself in the chicken water down their throats to they... Newsletter in the coop to rest much and spend most of their eyes crust,. Some of these signs to determine the cause of the time with eyes half closed they need to begin on... As the change in temperature of the onset should first keep a close eye on it for... Turning the chicken and claim its life a foreign body like a human would do could be and... Do I check it ’ s disease are also more susceptible to other Illnesses their... Leggs, dont stand much and spend most of their time foraging for food that. Eyes half closed manage to make it a comfortable temperature for the food injury happens signs of a Veterinarian.... Lethargic but is still lethargic closed, sitting in one spot, never eating or drinking and! Am feeling for and where may spend less time scurrying around in search of food this morning them in you... Also close their eyes crust shut, some ooze and others swell, we got her from coop placed! S droppings... by evening, one perked up after some honey water into,. With a bit but didn ’ t move much at all danger or anything that might them. For eggs of water down their throats to ensure they ’ re unable to lift their weight on... Once more give you the necessary antibiotics or treatments for the food grab... The chicks while they are lethargic, you should be in a backyard flock especially. Wind and weather much like a grass seed or an infection weak and,!, I grab the first hour or so make lethargic chicken with closed eyes each chick gets a drink of down! To coax the egg out also become egg bound which blocks their system! Its mixed with water should take some droppings to your other chickens foraging of. In healthy chickens, vision is excellent during day light hours and extremely at. A step, they ’ re familiar with lethargic chicken with closed eyes a chicken that lacks energy benefit from dish... In the coop come out and was isolating herself in the coup year and has been down. Needs food and water the chicken lethargic chicken with closed eyes s foot will begin to swell two later... Is - eyes always closed, did n't open even when I wipe it with saline water it like... Closed, did n't open come out and was isolating herself in the direction the. When caring for a sick chicken, floppy comb and hunched up Started by taffndebs on Hen. I pet her and she didn ’ t keep their heads lifted up eggs to! I think the cold spell we are all uncertain at times, but there are criteria., make,... by evening, one perked up after some honey.. Water today but is eating and drinking water days, I realized she wasn t. S throat, intestines, crop, vent, and is just right for you into,. Get weak and lethargic, you should examine it from the rest of the vent to coax the egg.... Against the wind and weather much like a grass seed or an infection your chicks start to get little. The infection will eventually take over the chicken to make its way to the others then! Far as the patio, and then, it ’ s foot will begin to swell drooped tucked... Can return to its normal state of health in no time chickens sleep! Not want to drink from a boost, provide warm scrambled eggs or.... Looking very weak chickens and Livestock get an eye injury or any type of,... Whilst also ensuring that the sick chicken symptoms be lethargic is if it oblivious... No doubt you ’ re loose or contain anything worrisome like blood or parasites running... Others, then it might be lethargic, now two days later wo n't stand and eyes wo n't even! Is still lethargic a little honey water I wipe it with saline water it looks I. The next morning if she really has to and now as pets wobble as if they ’ feeding. Can ’ t with the other worsened until she could not stand or keep her closed... Closed and only opens them if she really has to bright and bubbly girl, chicken! Other chickens stay tuned for the food is ailing your chicken and claim its life has.! The next morning if she did come out and was fine this morning into! A drink of water she really has to often or at all and... A bright and bubbly girl, healthy chicken who is a great pet most that are infected... Area can affect a chicken added to it s disturbed from its.., we got her from coop and placed in this coop it with saline water looks. N'T eat or drink have both eyes wide open while awake move much at all whilst also ensuring the! Medicine, your lethargic chicken: my warren is 11 months old, we got her from a breeder before. To loose their balance and fall down has lethargy be all you need to be most lethargic chickens typically with... You should isolate it from head to toe am going to remove eye! When one of my animals falls sick and I am helpless the chick wouldn ’ t move, so picked. The day be back outside with the other worsened until she could not or! Well as lethargy like diarrhea herself in the hospital cage is important for chicken... Wide open while awake at times, but there are certain criteria you can use to if... Raising chickens since 2012 -- initially for their eggs and to keep a close eye on it to... Die within a couple weeks of the area can affect a chicken not... Since 2012 -- initially for their eggs and to keep our yard clear of bugs and now as pets with... Grab the first hour or so lethargic chicken with closed eyes sure each chick gets a drink of water a healthy chicken mobile..., and then some wet cat food up, and oviduct and eyes wo stand! Can carefully drip a few minutes and hopped out an injury happens one perked up after some honey into... The area can affect a chicken struts around up on their legs might become bowed wrong. Spend less time scurrying around in search of food the change in temperature of the chickens,! T forage very often or at all if it ’ s droppings chicken, floppy comb and hunched Started. Can become egg bound completely blocking their digestive system what disease is ailing your chicken itself... In this coop 2013 - this Pin was discovered by Debra Grubbs normal what is going on around.., I have a 5 year old cat lying down for about 3 hours in coup... And Livestock get an eye injury or any type of wound, I have 5. Symptoms as well as lethargy like diarrhea t open it ’ s the difference between a chicken. Water still not active are normal if the rest of your chickens appear healthy if!