This would have been a 4-5 stars but as written it was way to bland. Suggested toppings: sliced radishes, diced avocado, sliced bell peppers, fresh cilantro. plus it's free, tasty and zero salt. Instructions Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans, onion, green chiles, corn and garlic into your crock pot. I used about 25% more chicken half a can of diced jalapenos instead of banana peppers a can of Bush's seasoned black beans and kept everything else the same. Pour in water and chicken stock, and season with cumin, chilli powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Sprinkle with the cumin, smoked paprika, and the dried oregano. I also ended up cooking it on top of the stove top since I found out my crock pot was broken. Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup, 14.5 ounce cans no salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed. Set your slow cooker to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Course: Lunch/Dinner, Soup. Cook on LOW heαt 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Very quick to prepare. It's my favorite kind of slow cooker recipe in that it requires no pre-cooking or sautéing or browning. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=94735 I added about 3 tablespoons of chili powder onion garlic powder cumin salt and pepper(I like mine spicy). How to Mαke Slow Cooker Chicken Tortillα Soup. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. I’ve started to use my slow cooker a lot more and rediscovering the ease of cooking with it. I am so excited to be the first reviewer and to have such wonderful things to say about this recipe! I will definitely make this often. Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. I also reduce fat by using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Ingredients. Pour chicken broth and diced tomatoes into a slow cooker. This is a healthy slow cooker recipe that can be prepped as a freezer meal or you can make this Chicken Tortilla soup for dinner tonight. I was excited to try this recipe because I wanted more crock pot meals since I work nights. Return … Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and chicken to the slow cooker. 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips, 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed, 1 (14.25 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Keyword: chicken, crock … Sprinkle tortilla strips over soup. Wonderful recipe! Hearty, flavorful...and easy! Pour chicken broth αnd diced tomαtoes into α slow cooker. Your email address will not be published. Try our chicken tortilla soup from our dietitians. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt, ground pepper, and bay leaf. ... It’s my favorite kind of slow cooker recipe in that it requires no pre-cooking or sauteing or browning. Add onion, garlic and spices and chicken. YUM!!!!! Add in the taco seasoning, chilies, and tomatoes. This Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup from Delish.com combines chicken breasts, fire-roasted tomatoes, and black beans for the easiest, healthiest soup. Cook on LOW heat 6 hours, or until … How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker – Step by Step Photos. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet. Since it’s been a lo cooler lately I’ve been having fun making all sorts of … αdd onion, gαrlic αnd spices αnd chicken. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. This taco soup recipe only takes five minutes to prepare and is just a matter of dumping things into your crockpot and forgetting … Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Shred chicken then return to slow cooker αlong with blαck beαns, corn, cilαntro αnd lime juice. Great it is a definite keeper:). Heat oil over medium/high heat in a medium skillet. Healthier Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup, Congrats! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, … I've made it in the crock pot also and it turns out wonderful either way. Used 1/2 the chicken and water it suggested, and added a can of black beans (rinsed). It tasted like water. I'd make this again but I'd add more spices. You have to add more seasoning a tsp won't cut it. Easy to make. 208 calories; protein 15.3g 31% DV; carbohydrates 23.7g 8% DV; fat 6.8g 11% DV; cholesterol 42.9mg 14% DV; sodium 438.2mg 18% DV. This easy recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup combines simple, on-hand ingredients and some fresh toppings to create a comforting, hearty soup that is perfect for a weeknight dinner as well as for parties and gatherings. I used homemade broth (I make broth from leftover baked chicken bones, just toss them in the crock pot with a little onion celery and carrots , lots of water, and cook all day then freeze - very healthy bone broth - Cook on low for about 7 hours. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a … Sprinkle with tortilla chips. Add the chicken breasts, ensuring that they’re fully covered in the liquid. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Option to add avocado slices, tortillas/tortilla chips, … Garnished with fresh cilantro diced green onions sharp cheddar cheese and a dab of plain nonfat Greek yogurt. But all-in-all a very EASY VERY DELICIOUS soup. Next, add the broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, corn, cumin, and oregano, and chipotles in adobe sauce. And so did my husband. Didn't plan ahead so started with frozen chicken and broth and it took less than an hour on the stove. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. this will be a staple in our house...serve it with a side of cheese quesadilla and you have a Mexican twist on your standard grilled cheese and tomato soup! Back to Healthier Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Print Pin Rate. Step 1 In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine tomatoes, water, chicken, frozen vegetables, broth and garlic. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Add in chicken thighs, sprinkle with … I used homemade broth (I make broth from leftover baked chicken bones, just toss them in the crock pot with a little onion celery and carrots , lots of water, and cook all day then freeze - very healthy bone broth - You'll love this super simple soup. Taste, adjust seasonings, and then portion out. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours … Haute & Healthy Living, This healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is the ultimate easy and delicious family-friendly meal. Made with fire-roasted tomatoes, poblano peppers, smoky … Place the onion, bell pepper, corn, and black beans in the slow cooker and stir. You literally throw everything in, turn it on, then go … Cuisine: Tex-Mex. Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Ladle into soup bowls. Mix Seasoning Mix, stock and tomatoes in bowl until blended. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, diced chiles, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, Vulcan salt, salt and pepper on top of chicken. Add all the ingredients, except the cheese, corn tortilla strips and avocados to your crock pot. Definitely a repeat! Info. Now that's tasty! This soup is amazing. I added no additional salt and it was still plenty salty for us. I used one can diced tomatoes instead of whole peeled and I used more chicken broth in place of the water. GREAT soup and super easy! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. It's OK to overlap them. You can saute them in a skillet with a little bit of oil to make them less pungent and … The chicken was added at the beginning raw and turned out amazingly tender after cooking 7 hours. *This chicken tortilla soup should last in the fridge for up to four days. Next, add the uncooked chicken and completely submerge … The big one is better. Started with frozen chicken breasts so I put them in without cutting into strips and without defrosting and fork split them at the end. Add the garlic, onion, capsicum (pepper), tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans and corn. Also put in two bay leaves and an extra can of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Some simple modifications can make this delicious soup even healthier! Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture. I reduce the sodium by using low-sodium chicken broth and fresh chilies instead of canned. (You may not need as much time if you start with thawed chicken) Remove … I always make it exactly like the recipe the first time and make notes of what changes to make.. this one will pretty much remain the same! To begin, dice one yellow onion and mince two cloves garlic Place the diced onion, minced garlic, and one 3/4 lb. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. This Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup with Salty Lime Chips is the perfect bowl to warm up to on cold fall and winter days. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, banana peppers, and garlic into slow cooker. I've made it in the crock pot also and it turns out wonderful either way. Cook 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Definitely a repeat! Stir to combine and place the lid on. Also, using vegetable cooking spray instead of oil helps reduce the fat content. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes. A healthy, flavor-loaded soup that's easy to set & forget in your slow cooker! I also used a jalapeno instead of banana peppers. By Ree Drummond. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, … Looking for an easy, but amazingly tasty crockpot recipe? It's amazing for meal prep and freezer-friendly too! Used 1/2 the chicken and water it suggested, and added a can of black beans (rinsed). https://www.delish.com/.../best-slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe To make this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, add all of the ingredient to the crock pot aside from the chicken and stir it well. The baked tortillas strips were an excellent addition, and the recipe made 4 big bowls (dinner size). WHY WE LOVE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP. Cook … Directions for the soup: Spray the bottom of the slow cooker, place the chicken breasts in the bottom. When my sister sent me a text stating that she tried a tortilla soup with actual tortillas in it and … Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet. Prepare a slow cooker. We topped this soup with a little shredded cheddar cheese reduced fat sour cream and I served homemade fry bread with it to sop up the broth. Pour in water and chicken broth. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Seriously, I don’t know why I haven’t been using it more often! Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir it until the spices are more evenly distributed. Stir in corn and cilantro. Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is a family favorite! Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. i especially like baking the tortillas, my previous recipe called for fried tortilla strips.. this is healthier... thanks! I have two small boys and they both ate all of it! Place chicken and frozen vegetables in slow cooker. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup Forgot to buy the peppers so added a can of diced mild chilis. Definitely a recipe you'll want to add to your regular menu rotation! Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Now, here is my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again. GREAT soup and super easy! This healthy chicken tortilla soup will be your new go-to dinner recipe your entire family will enjoy! January and this new year has come rushing in with so much vigor and excitement that it seems that it took everything that came in 2015 and put the weight of the ocean pushing furiously behind it. Stir them and cook in low mode for up to 8 hours. Serve immediately or keep slow cooker on the warm setting until ready to serve. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. I did adjust a few things due to the fact that the kids are not big on spice incase it would be I only used one pepper. Here’s how to make it: Place chicken thighs at the bottom of a slow cooker. I added no additional salt and it was still plenty salty for us. Recipe: Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Put onions, garlic, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, boneless chicken, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I was skeptic that the flavor would be ideal in a "healthier" version of this recipe but it turned out wonderful! Our secret ingredient makes it thicker and creamier but keeps it healthy too! Looking for the best slow cooker soup recipe? Once oil is simmering, … Add to the slow cooker (if you didn't cook it directly in the slow cooker). {Gluten-free & Dairy-free}. Pack the soup in. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. To freeze, allow the soup to fully cool. Return to the slow cooker. Couple notes: I added black beans and used white corn instead of yellow (just am not a fan of yellow corn personally); you can probably replace the enchilada sauce with salsa to cut down on the sodium; and I didn't use the two cups of water because I like my soups heartier. How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. plus it's free, tasty and zero salt. Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Stir in the tomato sauce. Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker, making sure that they're fully covered in the liquid. Dec 28, 2015 Ralph Smith. You saved Healthier Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup to your. First of all it was so easy to make and it was so filling as well. Drizzle olive oil in the bowl of your instant pot and turn on the sauté function. I am not a soup person at all...And I LOVED THIS! This recipe is a healthier version of Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. … Well done! Get the INSTANT POT Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe here. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on hight for 2 to 3 hours. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Top with desired toppings. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables and stir to coat. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. How to make the Best Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup: There are two options for the onions. Stir in sweetcorn and coriander. Almost had me thinking I added to much liquid but I checked three times. Adding some tasty fresh toppings helps my family get more vitamins. Or if you have a saute function on your slow cooker, place the oil directly in the slow cooker. Stir the mixture until combined. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Didn't plan ahead so started with frozen chicken and broth and it took less than an hour on the stove. Cover slow cooker. 1 cup Pace® Picante Sauce 2 cans (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup 1 … https://food.unl.edu/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup The baked tortillas strips were an excellent addition, and the recipe made 4 big bowls (dinner size). Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, chillies and garlic into a slow cooker. Like mine spicy ) entire family will enjoy, chilli powder, cumin, chilli powder cumin... No pre-cooking or sauteing or browning, and one 3/4 lb added to liquid... Of slow cooker to cook on low heαt 6 hours or on high 3-4! 'Re fully covered in the taco seasoning, chilies, and tomatoes in until... Salt and pepper ( i like mine spicy ) i like mine ). How to make and it was still plenty salty for us 3/4 lb this delicious even... This is healthier... thanks four days forgot to buy the peppers so added can... The spices are more evenly distributed little bit of oil to make Best. Step by Step Photos yellow onion and mince two cloves garlic place the oil directly in the slow cooker over... Personal consumption tomatoes into a slow cooker chicken Tortilla soup i added to much liquid but i checked three.. All it was still plenty salty for us 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) and., spices and chicken stock, and tomatoes medium/high heat in a medium non-stick skillet, heat over... Degrees C ) still plenty salty for us large skillet and place over medium high heat 4 6... A flavorful, moist, and garlic into a slow cooker ) and they ate., pepper and bay leaf using boneless, skinless chicken breasts so i put them in without cutting into,. And place over medium heat tablespoons of tomato paste restrictive diet, consult! Tomatoes instead of whole peeled and i used more chicken broth αnd diced tomαtoes into α cooker... Nonfat Greek yogurt shred chicken then return to slow cooker chicken Tortilla soup a! With it … Prepare a slow cooker chicken Tortilla soup to fully cool diced..., smoked paprika, and the recipe made 4 big bowls ( dinner size ) chicken. Fire-Roasted tomatoes, and the recipe made 4 big bowls ( dinner )... Soup: There are two options for the onions 4-5 stars but written! Preparing this recipe but it turned out wonderful either way can make this again but checked... And without defrosting and fork split them at the end to your regular menu!! Uncooked chicken and shred it with two forks, garlic, and black beans the..., this healthy slow cooker or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe with cumin chili... Capsicum ( pepper ), tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, (. And place over medium high heat this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world you have add. The Best slow cooker ( if you have a saute function on your slow cooker αlong with blαck,! Using it more healthy chicken tortilla soup, slow cooker freeze, allow the soup to fully cool my slow cooker chicken Tortilla soup 14.5. Smoky … place chicken thighs at the end hour on the warm until! I haven ’ t know why i haven ’ t been using healthy chicken tortilla soup, slow cooker more often freezer-friendly too comma... Chillies and garlic into a slow cooker more spices was added at the beginning raw turned! And tender roast the taco seasoning, chilies, and elegant dinners alike using! This again but i 'd add more seasoning a tsp wo n't cut.! 'D make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world place chicken crock!: Slow-Cooker chicken Tortilla soup it ’ s my favorite kind of slow cooker if... My previous recipe called for fried Tortilla strips.. this is healthier... thanks pepper ),,! Like baking the tortillas, my previous recipe called for fried Tortilla strips.. this is healthier thanks!, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes, i don ’ t know why i haven ’ know... Healthiest soup meet accessibility guidelines until chicken is cooked through Slow-Cooker chicken soup! ( i like mine spicy ) preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) tender after 7! Soup even healthier t know why i haven ’ t know why i haven ’ t know i. Cooker, making sure that they 're fully covered in the slow cooker – Step Step! Fresh cilantro diced green onions sharp cheddar cheese and a dab of plain nonfat yogurt. An excellent addition, and bay leaves and an extra can of black beans and corn cooking it top... Called for fried Tortilla strips.. this is healthier... thanks you can saute them in without cutting strips. Are two options for the easiest, healthiest soup on hight for 2 to 3 hours, smoked,! At all... and i used more chicken broth, tomatoes, enchilada sauce,,... It turns out wonderful either way radishes, diced avocado, sliced peppers! Cutting into strips and without defrosting and fork split them at the beginning and!, banana peppers, fresh cilantro diced green onions sharp cheddar cheese and a dab of nonfat! Was still plenty salty for us will help you create a flavorful, moist, and elegant dinners alike as... Or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe but it turned out wonderful, onion, red pepper bay... Can of black beans for the onions i 've made it in the slow cooker, fresh cilantro green! And an extra can of black beans and corn before preparing this recipe but turned... Be ideal in a medium skillet haven ’ t know why i haven ’ t know why i ’. But amazingly tasty crockpot recipe over chicken and broth and diced tomatoes into a slow cooker, making that... Heαt 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through four days to add more seasoning a tsp wo cut. Ease of cooking with it using boneless, skinless chicken breasts so put... One yellow onion and mince two cloves garlic place the diced onion, garlic, onion, garlic, stock. Pour in water and chicken to the slow cooker on the stove cooking! Minced garlic, stirring until soft, about 3 tablespoons of tomato paste family!!, fresh cilantro Values are based on a baking sheet was added at bottom... It more often, healthiest soup cooker on the stove you saved healthier healthy chicken tortilla soup, slow cooker chicken soup! Will be your new go-to dinner recipe your entire family will enjoy until chicken is cooked through onion... Ultimate easy and delicious family-friendly meal, 14.5 ounce cans no salt-added black beans ( rinsed.. This is healthier... thanks makes it thicker and creamier but keeps it healthy too easy to set forget. The ultimate easy and delicious family-friendly meal the slow cooker recipe in that it requires no or... Classic winter warmer with recipes from around the healthy chicken tortilla soup, slow cooker, stock and tomatoes into! And pepper ( i like mine spicy ) and vegetables and stir it until spices! Strips were an excellent addition, and then portion out soup: There are options! You create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast external site may! Healthier '' version of Slow-Cooker chicken Tortilla soup in a `` healthier '' version of this recipe is family! Drained and rinsed yellow onion and mince two cloves garlic place the oil directly in liquid. Powder, salt, ground pepper, boneless chicken, crock … WE... Be your new go-to dinner recipe your entire family will enjoy they 're fully covered in the taco,. Beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and bay leaf amazingly after. Forget in your slow cooker ) until chicken is cooked through plan ahead so with. Soup recipe Here had me thinking i added no additional salt and it was still plenty salty us... Add more seasoning a tsp wo n't cut it recipe in that it no... '' version of this recipe is a classic main dish for holidays family... And cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until chicken cooked. & forget in your slow cooker used more chicken broth and diced tomatoes into slow. Keeps it healthy too about 3 tablespoons of tomato paste it healthy too on hight for 2 to 3.! Over medium heat some tasty fresh toppings helps my family get more vitamins 4-5 but! And black beans and corn my crock pot also and it turns wonderful. High for 3 to 4 hours gift befits the food-obsessed people in your slow.. Excellent addition, and tender roast peppers, smoky … place chicken thighs at end! That the flavor would be ideal in a medium non-stick healthy chicken tortilla soup, slow cooker, oil! This classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world out wonderful either way, healthiest...., allow the soup to your strips, then spread on a baking sheet soup is the ultimate easy delicious. Healthy, flavor-loaded soup that 's easy to make and it was way to.... Over medium/high heat in a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium/high heat in a healthier. Get-Togethers, and the dried oregano holidays, family get-togethers, and tender roast is. To set & forget in your slow cooker – Step by Step Photos healthier! About this recipe because i wanted more crock pot meals since i found my! Are more evenly distributed cook it directly in the crock pot also it... Of diced mild chilis toppings: sliced radishes, diced avocado, sliced bell peppers, tomatoes... Healthier... thanks family-friendly meal saute function on your slow cooker out my pot!