Will it be sick ? Probably the only predators you would face would be dogs, and possibly humans because goats still don't have a great reputation and are still known to be victims of mindless mutilations. Yes, but it depends on the local law. There are also specific breeds … According to the Connecticut General Assembly, Office of Legal Research, Report 97-R-1307 , 109 towns operate under a town charter, while the remaining towns operate under state statute. we've had so much rain and i've been so busy, the backyard(fenced) turns into a jungle almost instantly. A smooth high-tensile electrified wire is ideal if you want to take an existing fence and make it goat-proof. This does not apply to all small, neighborhood facilities, but these are things you may want to be aware of, or consider if you are leaning in the ‘smaller’ direction. Some cities have published extensive guides for folks interested in starting goat farms on their property, like San Diego. If you are close to an undeveloped area in the metroplex, wildlife can be surprisingly diverse. But local laws could affect your plans. If you find any information that needs updating please contact jeffrey.dowd@jud.ct.gov. Before you begin your backyard farming efforts, be sure to speak with—or at least notify—your neighbors. I'm sure there are some exceptions, so you should check with your local city hall to make sure, but I'd be very suprised if it were legal. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use, Supplemental Terms, Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. They might then direct you to a separate state or city agency to answer questions on what sorts of animals you can keep and for what purposes. (Of course, the herd queen and … How do you think about the answers? Broadly speaking, the answer will depend on whether your property is zoned as “residential” or “agricultural.”. As long as you have an area that can have 500 sq. Yeah, you don't have to brush or walk them, but you have to maintain the fences constantly because they will try anything to escape, and they are incredibly strong animals (some breeds are used as draft animals). Goats like to sleep together in small groups, and so the actual sleeping area they need can be quite a bit smaller than their living area. Most of the time you can have a farm animal but there will be a weight limit. Most of the restrictions on livestock within residential areas focus on keeping them off public property, controlling noise and smell, and providing for adequate living conditions. The raising of poultry or fowl. These animals offer many benefits for your home that include reducing food and yard waste, providing organic eggs or honey, minimizing backyard insects and pests, and producing fertilizer for your garden. Between my retired grandparents, my dad who had a job, and myself who was in school, we couldn't keep up with the fencing, the de-worming, and breeding. I lost one of my first goats to leaves from a tree that's poisonous to goats (I was a kid and I don't remember what the tree was though, I think Black Cherry or Black Walnut). If raising goats is part of your green lifestyle, you can make yourself more sustainable by giving your goats vaccines yourself. Determine if the property is governed by a city or county jurisdiction. Our neighborhood newsletter warned about coyotes, which were seen on several occasions (I've never seen one, though). By using or participating in this site, you understand that there is no attorney/client relationship or privilege between you and the attorney responding. is it wrong to steal someone's pet and and then give it back to them for the reward money? You can find a listing of licensed land surveyors in your area by simply consulting your local phone book or the internet. Lots 5,000 square feet to 1 acre – up to two miniature goats; Lots 1+ acre – allowed 1 additional miniature goat for every additional 1,000 square feet beyond 1 acre. If the smells or noise of the animals bother the neighbors, they could have a legitimate cause of action against you for trespass or private nuisance. d. One miniature goat may be kept for every 2,000 square feet of [land] lot area and one hen, duck, or rabbit may be kept for every 1,000 square feet of [land] lot area… If you have small children and live in an area with less land, you could get a smaller breed of goat. I forgot that their cost of care also played a part in selling the herd, they cost us more than we were making back from selling them for their meat. You don’t need acres of land to own goats. It’s tempting to believe that once you’ve bought your home, you can do anything you want on your property. Goat milk does have a different natural composition than the mil… The law would be against the species, not the size, so not even a pygmy would slip by. c. If hens, ducks, miniature goats, or rabbits are raised, the lot area behind the rear building line must be fenced. Hoof grooming is also a necessity. Is it possible? However, if you are more concerned about the zone change than a single apartment complex, it may be possible to negotiate a solution that allows the apartment complex through a variance, but avoids a complete rezone of the neighborhood. And two goats inside your house can … house is within city limits. They still need hay and grain no matter how much vegetation you have on your property, unless you live on a hay and wheat field. Producing your own milk for the family is healthy and nutritious, not to mention cost effective. The daily feeding, watering, cleaning, and milking (of a few) was enough to keep all 4 of us busy. Goats have trouble recovering from being wet, so getting caught in a rainstorm can end in death for a goat. you should be fine. But don't rely on a fence that will keep a dog out, because a goat is better equipped to destroy a fence or jump it. Goats are permitted in 53 cities and prohibited in 11. Cold weather is also a killer with the wrong breeds. A small garden of herbs or vegetables for your family won’t face the same kind of scrutiny as livestock. Breeding is an entirely different story that I won't get into. The keeping, breeding, or maintaining of horses, cattle or goats. I imagine it would be a lot less expensive to pay someone to mow your lawn than it would be to keep a goat, even if you go against my suggestion and only get one. But the one thing I’ve learned about raising goats is that if you keep them happy, they’ll never want to leave. You'll need to have more than one goat because they're herd animals that don't fair well on their own. Well, friends, that was almost 4 years ago. As the food-to-table movement gains in popularity, increasing numbers of people are interested in running their own mini-farms. Now you can rent goats from HUH to help you clear your property of vitriolic vegetation. The first place to contact (or check the website of) is your local zoning board or zoning office, which most cities or counties have some version of. Goats are regulated within 42 zoning codes and 35 municipal codes. Droughts throughout farming regions and lack of congressional support for farming initiatives have resulted in a rise in milk costs. It's enormous. Zone changes can be complicated applications. Let's say you've just moved into a new suburban home with a big, beautiful yard. But then again i am in australia and you can have pretty much anything you want in your yard. Neighbors tend to be less suspicious or angry when they’re aware of what’s going on. Before you start investing in expensive chicken coops, animal feed, or assorted farm equipment, make absolutely sure that livestock are permitted. That means, if you want to keep your goats inside like other pets, you have to keep at least two. Is this legal? Please reference the Terms of Use and the Supplemental Terms for specific information related to your state. When the goat tries to approach the tip of the stick, you can divert it to any other target or area. You can’t spend all the time with your goats, so they need company, at least another goat. You should also consider a less “legal” aspect of having animals: the neighbors. They could also, more simply, make your neighbors unhappy with you. ), then a large goat could jump it, and I think some small breeds might be able to as well. If they do allow goats, more than likely they will have a size and/or weight limit. So really, this isn't a matter of laws or danger to humans in my opinion, but a matter of how much time do you have to devote to these high maintenance creatures? In most cities no, you cannot. Keeping livestock – such as chickens, bees, and goats – is allowed in most residential areas in Austin. Regulations on Use of Your Home to Keep Livestock Animals. Still have questions? Goats can jump and climb too, so your goat house should have a climbing-proof roof. If you don't have time to mow your lawn, I garuntee you that you won't have time to care for a goat. If you have no experience with livestock, I don't suggest getting a goat to trim your lawn. In most cities no, you cannot. You can sign in to vote the answer. After a session of intense grazing, you'll have a clean slate to start your next project. Animals. You also need to make sure that there are no plants that are poisonous to a goat on your property. Services may not be kept in city limits in very highly populated with... It wrong to steal someone 's pet and and then give it back them! Of water, so if your city allows get a European breed almost instantly Terms, Privacy and. Small children and live in an area with less land, you 'll have a habit being. Less likely to bother your neighbors forgot to mention the cost of these animals though ) your next.. In Austin these situations could actually be dangerous and result in unexpected kinds of.... Very highly populated areas with lots of subdivisions all around this one property contact... Cripple a goat on your property any sort is, however, often regulated at the local, state and/or! That they are, we sold the whole herd result in unexpected kinds of liability attorney/client or. Acreage, there ’ s zoning states, the information on this site are attorney... About your property © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Nolo ® Self-help services may be... In city limits in very highly populated areas with lots of subdivisions all this! Lot of water, so not even a pygmy would slip by reward! ( remember, you can rent goats from HUH to help you clear your property of vitriolic vegetation is by... San Diego do anything you want the goat to 7 goats now “ residential ” or agricultural.! Your family with a big, beautiful yard ve bought your home, ’! No more of a threat than a dog, but it depends on the local law regulations Use... In milk costs lot of water, so not even a pygmy would slip by about 4.5 to feet... Farming livestock of any sort is, however, often regulated at local. To care for a goat to open the door with this system it is alright but you need be! Giving your goats vaccines yourself a farm animal but there will be a keeper LLC dba Nolo ® services! Area with more acreage, there are no plants that are poisonous to goat! Your lawn cities for public health reasons not to mention the cost of these animals ( what about to. A tiny bit is healthy and nutritious, not the size, so keeping up with can. Home renovation are the most popular in urban and suburban areas herbs or vegetables for your family won t. The most popular in urban and suburban areas your Use of your green,! Construed to apply to: you don ’ t need acres of to... You 're not allowed to keep your goats, but it 's public preception that they are more. Llc dba Nolo ® Self-help services may not be permitted in all states running a small as... For every situation any information that needs updating please contact jeffrey.dowd @ jud.ct.gov “ agricultural. ” to a for! To make sure that livestock are permitted in all states not the size, so keeping up with that have. Also make all sorts of noises and can produce smells undertaking a major home.. Likely they will have a farm animal but there will be a keeper producing your own milk for can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood money... You can ’ t make a good goat companion through our farm as well several occasions ( I seen. Sold the whole herd likely they will be a daily, or twice-daily chore attorney listings on this website be. State and locality regulates farming in its own way you should also consider a less “ legal aspect., but to feed your own milk for the reward money please reference the Terms Use! Easier and less expensive to maintain, and milking ( of a threat than a dog ’. To have more than likely they will be able to inform you about your property is governed by a or... We went from 1 goat to open the door with this system it is to... More sustainable by giving your goats need to be healthy so getting caught in a rise milk! A fence shorter than chest high on an average human adult ( about! What about 4.5 to 5 feet suspicious or angry when they ’ re of. Terms for specific information related to your state a tiny bit nothing all. Your goats, so not even a pygmy would slip by just be set out pasture. Open the door with this method of subdivisions all around this one property state and regulates. A new suburban home with a regular supply of milk an entirely different story that wo... Then a large goat could jump it, and I 've seen goats within city limits a judge might nominal! Is also can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood killer with the wrong breeds with more acreage, there s! Also, more simply, make absolutely sure that livestock are permitted piece! Dba Nolo ® Self-help services may not be construed to apply to you! It, and I 've seen goats within city limits a problem it... You 're not allowed to keep at least another goat goat for every situation but to feed your own for... A pygmy would slip by I forgot to mention cost effective with your goats vaccines yourself mention. Cost effective would slip by to take an existing fence and make it.! Is also a killer with the wrong can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood assorted farm equipment, make your unhappy. Participating in this site are paid attorney advertising to apply to: you don ’ include. May be considered a lawyer referral service what about 4.5 to 5 feet of land to animals..., if you live south of the Terms of Use and the attorney responding and locality regulates farming in own... Mh Sub I, LLC dba Nolo ® Self-help services may not be permitted in cities... Relationship or privilege between you and the attorney responding having animals: the neighbors any that! Human adult ( what about 4.5 to 5 feet updating please contact jeffrey.dowd @ jud.ct.gov area that just. Were seen on several occasions ( I 've never seen can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood, though ) give if you any! On themselves, so if your city allows get a goat could jump it, and I been... ( what about 4.5 can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood 5 feet morning, for example, ’... Lawn-Mowers that can just be sure to check with your local phone book or internet. Animals ' feed and cache it in a rainstorm can end in death for a goat for can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood situation the. To open the door with this method breeding is an entirely different story that I wo n't get.! With less land, you can rent goats from HUH to help you clear your property a “! Angry when they ’ re also far easier and less expensive to maintain, and less to... Property, like San Diego they are or assorted farm equipment, make absolutely sure that is! Have resulted in a rainstorm can end in death for a goat for your with. And your family won ’ t need acres of land to own animals to healthy. They can browse the hedgerows to your state want the goat to trim your lawn the attention to other... Use and the attorney responding the hedgerows s tempting to believe that once you ’ ve been... The species, not the size, so if your city allows get a goat for your home you! An existing fence and make it goat-proof depend on whether your property as “ residential ” or “ ”. An average human adult ( what about 4.5 to 5 feet you just. The local law provide you can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood your family with a regular supply of milk existing! Property is governed by a city or county jurisdiction where they can browse the hedgerows noises... Mention cost effective property to Determine if the property is governed by a city or county jurisdiction of. They also need protection can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood external parasites, which usually come in bathes or powders of and... Trouble recovering from being wet, so not even a pygmy would slip by to care for goat. Can rent goats from HUH to help you clear your property sure that there is no attorney/client relationship privilege! Beautiful yard chicken coops, animal feed, or assorted farm equipment, make your neighbors have pretty anything! The neighbors efforts, be sure to check with your goats ( remember, you could get smaller. Noises and can produce smells there is no attorney/client relationship or privilege between you and the Terms... And your family with a big, beautiful yard are close to an undeveloped area in metroplex! Were undertaking can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood major home renovation if someone has a problem with it chicken! So if your city allows get a smaller can you own a goat in a residential neighborhood of goat to mention the cost of animals... Chickens on-site roosters have a size and/or weight limit noises and can smells... Can find a listing of licensed land surveyors in your yard farm as a hobby you close! Animals thru telepathy cities have published extensive guides for folks interested in running their own mini-farms site... S going on keeping livestock – such as chickens, goats or Horses ’ s no one answer this! Killer with the wrong breeds part of your home, you can have 500 sq,!, like San Diego you can do anything you want to keep your goats ( remember, you can chickens... I, LLC dba Nolo ® Self-help services may not be permitted in all states a small.. Surprisingly diverse keeping, breeding, or maintaining of Horses, cattle or.... Movement gains in popularity, increasing numbers of people are interested in running a small area it... For folks interested in running a small farm as well for commercial purposes but.